Thursday, April 2, 2009

It is Turkey Thursday

The call came at 6:15 this morning. I looked outside and this is what I saw.


Wouldn't you know, it snow during the night!
After coffee, going to the barn to get the brooder ready - turning on the heater, heat lamps,setting out food, (blended hard boiled egg), and filling the waterer with warm, slightly sugared, water - I headed in the green bug 12 miles down the road to the Entiat Post Office.

I knocked on the back door and Barbara greeted me with a chirping box!
They road in the front seat with Lucy's Birthday doll (which obviously I haven't mailed yet - bad Farmer Megan - she's coming soon to you Lucy!)


They are shacking up in the Milking Parlour - the only room in the barn with heat and no chickens (Turkeys & Chickens shouldn't be housed together - according to the Books)
The box is open - 15 turkey chicks - alive and well!


I made sure they each had a good drink of water and scattered a little food about, most of them started pecking at the little morsels.







The birds didn't come with a packing list so to find out exactly what type of heritage turkeys they are I went to the Web.
The black & white ones are Black Spanish.(6 of those)
The brownish ones are Bourbon Red. (5 of those)
The pale yellow are Royal Palm (4 of those)
Here is a link to a hatchery(not the one I used) that has good photos of the poults and mature turkeys. You'll have to scroll down to find the ones we have.

Goodbye chickies, until this afternoon!




Keith cooked another great meal last night - braised short ribs.

2 comments:

Granny Esther said...

gobbledy gobbledy! yeah turkeys!

April said...

Beautiful little turkey chicks and precious doll for Lucy too. We miss you guys and want to see the critters while they are still little. I'll call about a visit. xo - April